Many people want to start their own business and it maybe that they desire to eventually operate a big enterprise or simply do what they love as a sole trader… so what is stopping them? Well, the answer to this question may vary, but often it is a result of the fear of failure.
Primitively, we humans have the ability to save ourselves from life threatening situations and it can be innate fear and self-preservation that is our ultimate savour. This is great, right? And how super clever we are instinctively! However, fear is not a great thing when it is hindering progress – after all, becoming your own businessperson and doing something you really believe in, can be the thing that saves you in the long run… so is it not better to focus on this, rather than on potential failure? What a good idea!
So simply do the following instead of fretting:
- Set yourself up for success.
- Don’t run before you can walk.
- Surround yourself with trustworthy people, and those that complement your skill set in business.
- Do something you know, that you believe in, and that you are good at.
- See challenges or set-backs as just that, and don’t label anything as a ‘problem.’ A set-back may just be the time and warning signal you need to re-assess something in your business.
- Trust yourself and your instincts, and use your commonsense.
- Avoid getting overwhelmed… this is your business and your rules – so take your time when starting out – maybe get the wheels moving while you still continue with a full-time job, so that you are not risking the security you are accustomed to.
- Ensure you have balance in your life – so eat properly, exercise regularly and ensure you have family ‘me’ time, so you are not swallowed up by your new exciting business venture. But, at the same time, don’t be fooled into thinking that being your own boss will not require dedication, and long hours – certainly to begin with.
- Forget about failure, as success is for all to hold!